Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Bake Along #23 - Honey Walnut Cake

Phew... I thought I wouldn't be able to make it in time for this time's Bake Along event
Finally I did, this morning :)

This cake, if you love honey like me, is really delicious, with perfect texture I like - soft and moist! Another yummy choice for tea time snack!
I made only half recipe and that's my biggest regret of the day, especially when the kids told me it's very nice!
My kids are very difficult to please, FYI. Many times I made something I was really sure they will like, and to my disappointment, they didn't touch it at all after their trial bite
I have a short list of what they like, and judging from the list, I was so sure they wouldn't touch this cake, either
I was wrong


Recipe is from book, Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman
This is the recipe below has already modified to half recipe converted in grams

60g walnut pieces
25g caster sugar (reduced a little)
60g all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
85g unsalted butter, softened
3 tbsp honey
1 1/2 large eggs
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  1. Preheat oven to 160degC. Grease, line and grease again pan (I used 18cm square pan for this half recipe)
  2. Spread walnuts in a lined pan, toast til fragrant, 8-10 minutes, let cool
  3. Combine walnuts and 1 tbsp sugar, blend til finely ground
  4. Add in flour and baking powder and salt, and pulse to combine
  5. Beat butter, honey and remaining sugar in mixing bowl on medium high speed til smooth, approximately 2 minutes
  6. Add in eggs, one at a time, add in lemon zest and vanilla, followed by nuts and flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, mix til just incorporated
  7. Scrape batter into pan, bake for 25-30 minutes or til skewer comes out clean
  8. If the top brown too much at the edges, loosely cover with alumunium foil after 20 minutes
  9. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, turn into cooling rack
  10. Cut and serve
I forgot to dust the cake with icing sugar, but this cake is already so wonderful on it own, who needs icing sugar? LOL
Below are our baking friends whom have done this cake too for the event which is hosted by Zoe, Lena and Joyce


20 comments:

  1. Hi Alice,
    Glad that your family like this cake! It is moist, soft and tender! Really appreciate that you rush to bake for our Bake-Along! That's very supportive of you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Joyce, thks :)
      yes, a very delicious cake :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Alice,
    The cake's a keeper isn't it? Glad you could make it in time for our bake along :D.
    Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Anuja, thks :) yes yes yes, one keeper recipe :)

      Delete
  3. I would love this walnut cake too. Smooth and moist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Angie, thks :) its indeed so tasty with perfect texture :)

      Delete
  4. so true, this is really so delicious and the next time when i want to make this, will sure make the whole recipe. Glad that you are able to make it for this round! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alice, your cake look so good and the texture is very moist. Your picture like 3D, wish I can grab 2 slices from the screen. LOL

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Amelia, i just realized it looks like 3d pic when u said that LOL
      thks :)

      Delete
  6. Alice I like the way you cut it in squares...so even and neat. Great job and happy to bake along with you here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very neat .... reminds e of this cake... yummy ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad that you made it and your kids love this cake!

    I didn't regret baking this cake. It is really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Zoe, thks :)
      yes, the next time I bake this, its gonna be full recipe :P

      Delete
  9. Looks like blondies! I love this cake too, will bake it again when I get more walnuts its so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alice, I would like to thank you for your conversion for cups to grams.
    When I decide to bake this cake, I can't decide how much is 3/4 cups of butter..
    Until i saw u in Lena bake along link ...so glad to get to know you, I learn something here..and..
    Thanks again..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Mui Mui, you're welcome :)
      glad to know u too :)
      thks for dropping by ya :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...