Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

Bake Along #27 - Gluten Free Cheese & Choco Chips Scones Cookies

For Bake Along this time, the theme is scones
I baked this morning and I wasn't pleased at all

I wasn't so sure whether I should post this or not, initially
This was not like what I expected to be, even though I knew the texture would not be the same, since I used gluten free mocaf flour
This was my second bake using this flour, you may view HERE for my first bake including the short description about the flour

Gluten is one substance that makes cakes rise, and I expected my scones would be shorter, but I never expected they would be flat like cookies!
The dough was so sticky and soft, couldn't do any remedy action that I just spooned it on the pan and baked them
I think the culprit was not only the flour I used, but more on the quantity of eggs I used, I think it's a little too much...
Wew... pure intention to modify these scones to a healthier treat turned disastrous! So annoyed!

Until my kids said, wow...mummy baked chocolate chips cookies...yum!
Then I was like, oh yeah, why not, these are scones cookies
Indeed the texture was like cakey soft chewy cookies
One consolation - the taste was yummy :)


Original recipe was from Barefoot Contessa, modified by me

What you need:
(I made half of the original recipe and I had 12 large scones cookies)

2cups mocaf flour plus 1/2 tbsp mocaf flour, divided (original recipe: all purpose flour)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
170g cold unsalted butter, diced
2 1/2 eggs, beaten lightly
1/2 cup cold yoghurt (original recipe: heavy cream)
80g grated cheddar cheese (original recipe: 115g)
80g semi sweet chocolate chips (original recipe: 1/2 cup minced fresh dill)
1/2 egg beaten with 1/2 tbsp milk, for egg wash
  1. Preheat oven to 200degC
  2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl
  3. Add butter, and rub til mixed and butter in pea sized pieces
  4. Mix eggs and yoghurt, quickly add to the flour & butter mixture
  5. Combine til just blended
  6. Toss together cheese, chocolate chips and 1/2 tbsp flour, add them to the dough. mix til almost incorporated
  7. On floured surface, knead the dough for 1 minute til cheddar and chocolate chips well mixed evenly
  8. Roll 3/4 inch thick. Cut 4 inches squares and half diagonally to make triangles
  9. Brush the top with egg wash
  10. Bake around 30 minutes til outside crusty and inside fully cooked

I was quite happy to know the scones cookies was liked by my family, moreover to know that it's rather a healthy treat - no gluten and no sugar used
But the next time I bake this again, since the recipe has many great reviews, I'll just stick to the original recipe to the dot, including using chopped dill instead of chocolate chips
I'm sure I will munch happier that way, I am a kind of missing the real scones texture :P




The event is hosted by Zoe, Joyce and Lena, please hop over to their fabulous blogs :)

Below is fellow bakers with their wonderful scones
I feel like one ugly duckling to put my scones among theirs!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Alice, That is not an ugly duckling, it is just a duckling in disguise! At least you have discovered a new delicious cookie! And the important thing is your kids like it, and it is healthy too, so you got a winner there! Thank you for baking along with us! Wish you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alice, doesn't matter how it turns out as the most important thing is making something healthier and liked by the kids! Bravo for making the attempt to turn it into something healthier... Thanks for sharing the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ! Ugly duckling ?! It looks good to me :) Yup , you didn't have that sconey texture but it looks as yummy as everybody else ! As long as it has been approved by kids , it's a sure winner ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi alice, even though they did not turn out the way you wanted them to be, at least it's nice to know that they are delicious. I dont mind eating a flat scone as long as it tastes good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice, this scone cookies is like 1 stone kills 2 birds, can be scones, can also be cookies too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, cookies and scones at the same time! since it's healthy and your family likes it, it doesn't matter how it turned out huh!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were lucky to find a new creation which your family like.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...