Pages

Friday, June 22, 2012

Steamed Brownies

Recipe is from the book "Magic Steamed Cake" by Alex Goh



I like the taste, real delicious
Texture wise, it's quite crumbly, I wish it could be more moist
Original recipe uses walnuts, I will do so the next time I make this cake again, and perhaps some chocolate chips too
Overall, well loved by family :)

A
100g butter
85g cooking chocolate

B
180g sugar
3 eggs

C
20g cocoa powder
170g plain flour
1 1/4 tsp double acting baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda

D
120g chopped walnuts (I didn't use but I will in the future)
100g chocolate chips (additional I'd like to use in the future)
  1. Double boil A over simmering water til chocolate melted
  2. Mix B til sugar dissolved. Add in cooled A, mix til well combined
  3. Fold in sieved C, mix til well blended. Add in D, mix til well incorporated
  4. Pour into 22x20cm shallow pan lined with alumunium foil (I used 20cm round, hence the taller cake)
  5. Steam for 30 minutes. Set aside to let cool
  6. Coat with chocolate ganache over the cooled cake

23 comments:

  1. I think they are moist enough. I would try the steamed brownies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Angie, thks :)
      hope u like this recipe :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome, Alice. This steamed brownie is really looking good. I will try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. from the picture, the texture looks great tho:)i would love to eat them cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thks Lena! oh eating this cold? i never try, perhaps i should :)

      Delete
  4. You got a nice rise in the brownie. It looks moist too. Very interesting "cooking/baking" technique :o) And of course, I like the sprinkles on top; very festive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hanaa, thks :)
      i used smaller pan hence the tall brownie :)
      steamed cakes and brownies are pretty popular in Asia, an alternative for those who dont own an oven :)

      Delete
  5. I have also bookmarked this recipe from this book (there are many recipes I want to try from this book) and actually planned to make it tml for giveaway, then today I see ur post. I have more confidence on this recipe after reading ur comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alice, this cake must be baked esp for you children? Lovely chocolate cake & using steaming method for a western cake seems to be new to me, very special! If you do use choc chips, do consider the white choc chips coz the colour will stand out, wink wink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Jessie, thks :)
      we don't fancy white chocolate chips unfortunately, too sweet :)
      i always love steamed brownies, i have one more recipe with many great reviews, will try one day :)

      Delete
  7. Steamed cakes are usually more moist, this brownies looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your brownie, it looks so moist. Much better than the baked ones...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Mich, thks :)
      i must say i love both baked and steamed cos they have different texture :)

      Delete
  9. Your brownie looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heh Alice, your steamed brownie looks so tempting! =) I would wish to try it too but can i ask how many cups is equivalent to 170g plain flour?

    Thanks,
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi thks Ash :)
      170g plain flour = 1 1/2 cup :)
      hope u like it :)

      Delete
  11. Hi Alice,

    Can I check whether one needs a hand whisk or mixer for your step 2 (mix B) and step 3?

    Regards,
    YF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi YF, this brownies can be made with hand whisk, I didn't use mixer :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Alice,

    Am very keen to try out your recipe seeing the pretty outcome above. Want to ask if i need to beat the egg mixture till it gives off a soft peak?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...