Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

THB #4 Pear Almond Cake

Baked this cake this afternoon, and really, it's a great dessert if only I changed the suggested almond extract to vanilla instead
I poured almond extract to the batter when I realized that I and also the whole family do not fancy the fragrance of almond extract, even though we love almond
But aside from that, I love this short and moist cake
I love the use of cinnamon and nutmeg on the pears, they gave great additional aroma

The 4th cake from the book Coffee Cakes by Lou Seibert Pappas, for The Home Bakers event :)

The original recipe is to arrange the pears in pinwheel shape but since I chose to use rectangle pan, I didn't do so, hence the title of this posting - pear almond cake
Instead of hazelnut, I used ground almond which toasted in the oven during preheating for less than 5 minutes
The pan I used is 20x10x4 cm, the cake was around 2 cm height
For the pear, I couldn't find anjou nor bosc pear, so in the end I used Taylor Gold pears from New Zealand
This pear is so sweet and juicy, but it's soft, not crunchy
I also reduced the light brown sugar to 1/4 cup + 1/8 cup

This cake is not for my kids, they didn't even want to give it a try, but their mummy and daddy love it, but definitely if I bake this cake again, I will use vanilla extract :)




Please visit The Home Bakers, you'll see other members' bakes and really hope you can join in the fun too!
Recipe can be found in Zoe's site


21 comments:

  1. Oooohh my! love your version of this recipe. Looks gooooodd!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made a lovely variation to this cake! I should really try it with grounds almonds next time! I replaced the almond extract with vanilla extract too, since my kids do not like almond extract. Great bake, Alice. You cake looks lovely in a rectangular shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Joyce, thks :)
      yeah, venilla extract is more suitable for my family liking actually :)

      Delete
  3. Your cake looks very pretty! Love the rectangular shape, very unique and pretty (I think I need to go get a pan like yours too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so moist and delicious! The rectangular shape is very nice. I should get a pan like that too... - Mich@Piece of Cake

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the rectangular pan...it still look tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. like the rest, i also like the shape of your cake..the cake turns out so pretty! i may have a pan looks like this but maybe different measurement, next time i can try making short cake in that..will see! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Lena, thks :)
      the pan is actually brownies pan :)

      Delete
  7. me want a rectangular pan too!! or do I have one already? gotta go check my secret cupboard (the one my DH knows nothing of! hahahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like almond meal is a great substitution for this cake. Both Emily and your almond version of this cake look very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Zoe, thks :)
      i was just lazy to grind hazelnuts and it's good to know that it's delicious too :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Alice,
    Like everyone here, I like your take on the cake, especially the rectangular pan. Must have tasted great with all almonds.
    Regards,
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Anuja, thks :)
      yes i love the almond taste in this cake :)

      Delete
  10. Wow! Your cake looks great a rectangular shape! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...