Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mango & Peach Layered Sponge Cake

My lil princess Abby seems to need a break from chocolate
I was initially planning to try the highly raved banana chocolate cake, and when I told her, she said...chocolate cake again???
Oooppss...Okay...what do you want girl? I want mango cake! Oh...okay...

I happened to have some mangoes in the fridge - not much though, very sure it will be far from enough to bake one recipe, but this lazy mum was so reluctant to make a trip to less than 10mins walk to the nearest supermarket, so this mummy was happy to see a can of sliced peach unopened
Okay girl, is mango and peach cake allright? Yes, I love them both! Okay, set!

So I proceeded to my kitchen and prepared everything, yes - I baked the sponge cake first, and turned it to layered cake with the two fruits in between :)
Oh dear, I dun have whipped cream! And I saw a clear container with buttercream in it - yippe!

So, here it is..
Pic taken the next day - the last two 'imperfect shape' slices still survived *grin*
Bottom layer - chopped peach, top layer - chopped mangoes, topping - sliced peach - all sandwiched with buttercream in between
Taste heavenly!

Recipe for the sponge cake - the same as what I used for the failed mango mousse cake
This basic sponge cake recipe is a keeper!

I repeat the recipe here, as I dislike going back and viewing that failed cake I made ppfffff.... :P

What you need:
Using 20cm round pan)

100g cake flour
3 eggs, room temperature
90g caster sugar
20g unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons fresh milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Sift cake flour, set aside. Line bottom and sides of an 20cm round pan with parchment paper, set aside
Pre-heat oven to 170degC. Position rack at the lower bottom of the oven
With an electric mixer, whisk eggs and sugar on HIGH speed for about 5 to 7 mins, until the batter double in volume and is ribbon-like (the beater should leave a ribbon-like texture when the batter is lifted up)
Turn to LOW speed and whisk for another 1 to 2 mins. Whisking at low speed helps to stabilise the air bubbles in the batter
Add sifted cake flour into the batter. With a spatula, gently fold in the flour until well blended. Take care not to deflate the batter. (To ensure proper folding in of the flour, you can add the flour in three separate additions)
Add the melted butter, fold with spatula until well blended
Add in fresh milk, vanilla extract and fold in gently with spatula
Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30-35mins (mine was 25mins), or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Unmold and invert onto cooling rack, cool completely

For the filling:
chopped mangoes
chopped peach
sliced peach
buttercream

I made the buttercream with this recipe

To make the layered cake:
Cut the cooled cake into 3parts
First part (bottom) - spread buttercream thinly on top, arrange chopped peach
Second part (centre) - spread buttercream thinly on top, place on top of the chopped peach (buttercream part facing down), spread the top part with buttercream thinly, arrange chopped mangoes
Third part (top) - spread buttercream thinly on top, place on top of the chopped mangoes (buttercream part facing down), spread the top part with buttercream thinly, arrange sliced peach

Note:
***Since it's pretty slippery to arrange fruits on top of buttercream and I dont like thick buttercream, after done with the layering, I immediately put the cake in the fridge (I put in the container to prevent the cake from drying)
***Original (and better) does not use buttercream, but instead whip non dairy whipping cream til stiff and arrange the fruits on top - this definitely a better way to hold the fruits - keep them in place :)

5 comments:

  1. GREAT IDEA! i went supermarket with my mum today. saw mango and i grabbed it immediately. dont know what to do with it. THIS IS THE ONE! look so delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thks Jasmine! yes, this cake is yummy, the sponge cake is really good! but i suggest u use whipped cream instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a sweet mom! Your cake looks delicious, I love fruits in cakes! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mum will never fail their kids! mango and peach sounds lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Janine, thks hehe...i just love the feeling evrytime the whole family enjoy what I make :P

    hi Lena, thks! i myself love this cake :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...