Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

($20 Budget Meal) Deep Fried Stuffed Tofu, Stir Fry Salted Vegetables w/Tofu, Steamed Fish w/Tomato

I've been following this event since it first started in March this year, but I never participated - even though I do cook for my family
Found many great ideas from the past two events - thank you Ellena for the creative move - it's such a great help, knowing it's a big headache to think about what to cook for the whole family in daily basis :)
This month, the third theme - tofu...I have the urge to participate - I guess not fair to just get all the ideas without me contributing too hihihi....


We had these 3 dishes using almost the same ingredients just to finish the balance :P

First, deep fried stuffed tofu

What you need:
(adapted from Ricke's site with a little modification to suit my taste)

For the filling:
3 firm tofu - fried til golden brown - halved
75g beansprouts, wash clean
1 medium carrot, peel and grate
1/8 from medium beijing cabbage - thinly sliced
100ml water
salt, pepper, sugar, cornflour (mixed with a little water)

Blend smooth:
-2 shallots
-3 cloves of garlic

For coating: (mix well all ingredients)
150g cake flour
100g rice flour
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg - lightly beaten
enough water to form paste

How to make the filling:
Heat oil in a pan, stir fry blended shallots and garlic til fragrant
Add in all vegetables - stir well til soften
Add in salt, sugar, pepper - mix well
Add in water, bring to boil
Add in cornflour mixture - stir til thicken, off heat - set aside

How to do the fried tofu:
Scrap the center part of each half to make a dent, stuff it up with the stir fry veggies (approx.1 tbsp)

How to deep fry:
Dip the stuffed tofu into the coating, deep fry in a heated oil on frying pan til golden brown and crisp
(make sure the whole thing submerged, otherwise you need to flip to the other side halfway of frying)

Best to eat with sweet soya sauce (kecap manis) mixed with cut bird's eye chillis
(Indonesians eat the tofu and literally bite the bird's eye chilli and munch them together :P)

Second, stir fry salted vegetables with  fried tofu

I cooked this dish before, recipe can be viewed HERE

The last dish, steamed fish with tomato

Recipe adapted from Fong's Kitchen Journal 
(with slight modification to suit my family's preference)

What you need:

1 toman fillet
1 tomato, cut into 8 parts
some cut salted vegetables
some shitake mushroom, soaked and cut
1 tbsp shredded ginger
salt, soya sauce, pepper, a little water
1 tbsp shallot oil (the oil that has been used for frying shallots)
1 stalk spring onion - cut (for garnish)

Sprinkle a pinch of salt/pepper on the fish.  Place the tomato/salted veg/mushroom/shredded ginger and fish on a plate for steaming.  Add soy sauce, shallot oil and 1 to 2 tbsp water
Steam the fish for 10 minutes over high heat (need longer time for bigger chunk of fish)
Garnish with spring onion and serve immediately

Calculation: (approximate)
1) Deep fried tofu:
firm tofu $1.40, carrot/beansprout/cabbage $1.50, egg $0.20, bird's eye chillis $0.20
others from my existing stock approx total = $2
Total => $5.30
2) Stir fry salted vegetables with fried tofu
salted vegetables $1.10, large chilli $0.10
others from the balance used to make deep fried tofu as well as my existing stock approx total = $0.50
Total => $1.70
3) Steamed fish with tomato
toman fish fillet $4.90, shitake mushroom $$0.50, tomato $0.30
others from my existing stock approx total = $1
Total => $6.70

Grand total ===>  $13.70
(for family of 4)

I'm sharing this post to “May $20 Budget Meal - Specific Ingredient is "Tofu/Beancurd"” at this LINK



I am submitting this post to [June $20 Budget Meal - Noodle] host by Ellena of Cuisine Paradise at this Link HERE.

8 comments:

  1. very nice selection of dish. I'm quite familiar with the stir fried tofu with salted vege and the steamed fish and i think i will also like the stuffed tofu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice, thanks for your contribution to the event this month. All your tofu dishes are great. I love the Stir-fried tofu with salted veggie and beansprouts which is such a hearty dish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Lena, thks! :) the stuffed tofu is typical Indonesian dish - we love deep fried food hehe...

    hi Ellena, yes, I too love the dish - my mum used to cook this dish quite often :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh me oh my, your tofu looks simply delicious. Mmm no wonder my tummy suddenly feels hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like your deep fried tofu, I will eat a lot sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! A balance diet meal that I would love to try very much :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi Mama, thks ya hehe...cant compare with your cookings liao :P

    hi Sonia, hehe...me too :)

    hi Ann, hope u like it! but the stuffed tofu is pretty high in calories hihiihih....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really nice recipe.Will definitely try it!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...