Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Bake Along #43 - Tres Leches Cake

A cake soaked in three types of milk
Those milk lovers, this is a must try!

This is my second time baking this oh so sinfully yummy cake
When I did it the first time, I thought I wouldn't dare to repeat this bake
I enjoyed this delicious cake to the max, but I just couldn't stand the guilt LOL

When I saw Bake Along to bake list and saw this cake, I was like, gosh! Should I?
Well, the more I gave it a thought, the more the craving set in, so I did yesterday LOL
One of the reason was, I remember how irresistible this cake was, this won over my guilty feeling :)
And it was quite sometime ago since the first time I tried on this cake, so why not? *grin*



 
I saw Joyce did 1/3 recipe. Since I also wanted to do The Pioneer Woman's recipe, I then just followed her recipe. Thanks Joyce :)
I didn't do the frosting, I just drizzled with chocolate sauce instead :)

What you need:

1/3 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
2 eggs, separate the yolks from the whites
1/3 cup caster sugar, separate 2 tbsp for the egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
80ml milk

For the milk mixture:
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/4 cup sweet condensed milk
2 tbsp heavy cream (I used fresh milk)
1 tsp rhum

For the frosting: (I skipped this)
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp caster sugar

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180degC. Grease and line 10x20cm. Set aside
  2. Sift together plain flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside
  3. Beat egg yolks and sugar on high speed til the yolks are pale yellow
  4. Stir in milk and vanilla
  5. Pour egg yolks mixture onto the flour mixture and mix well
  6. In another bowl, beat egg whites til foamy. Add in 2 tbsp of sugar and beat til stiff but not dry
  7. Fold in egg whites mixture to egg yolks mixture gently til just combined
  8. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or til the skewer comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes and transfer into a baking dish just slightly bigger than the cake
  9. Pierce the cake with fork many times all over
  10. Prepare the milk mixture: Stir all ingredients together til well mixed
  11. Pour the milk mixture onto the cooled cake slowly, all over including the edges
  12. Allow the cake to absorb the mixture, about 30 minutes
  13. Prepare the frosting: Beat heavy cream with sugar til thick
  14. I kept the cake in the fridge overnight and spread the frosting the next day



The first time I sank my teeth on this cake this morning, I was like hhhhmmmmm...
Calorie? What calorie? LOL


This post is for Bake Along, organised by Joyce from Kitchen FlavoursLena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids

Below is other bakers with their Tres Leches Cake

11 comments:

  1. Hi Alice,
    You are seriously making me want to take a bite into this cake again! Haha! Calories, what calories! You are right about that! I console myself that at least this cake does not contain any butter! LOL! Yup, this is seriously good! I love your chocolate drizle!
    Thank you for baking along with us!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice,
    I am curious about have the cake tasted.
    This rose my interest to bake this cake.
    Yours looks moist, soft and I like the drizzle on top.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it was very delicious and looks great with the chocolate sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alice,

    Apart from being too sweet for me, I reckon that this Pioneer woman recipe is less guilty than most tres leches cake recipes with butter and cream...

    Ops! Got to stop drooling...

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice, your cake looks very soft and moist. Best of all, I love the chocolate drizzle :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the texture of your cake. Looks so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alice, so sorry that I haven't been visited your blog for a while! I'm so overwhelmed when receiving so many messages from you yesterday! These days have been busy & only spend 1.5hours on the computer before going to sleep! Thanks for those sweet messages & take care! Oh, by the way, the Happy grass mango pudding powder is selling in S'pore. If you are really interested to make for your children, pls check out the shops listed in my blog. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm glad that you attempted this cake again despite realising the calories..LOL! well it's okay, you dont eat this very often..hehe..very pretty chocolate drizzle on the cake! thanks alice for baking with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!
    can i know for '1/2 sdt baking powder', what does the sdt stands for? The cake looks real good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooppss typo error, my mistake
      it's supposed to be tsp LOL
      thks for highlighting this to me :)
      this cake is dangerously addictive, I must warn u :)
      hope u like it as much as I do :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Alice, this cake is super tempting!! Questions to ask,the measurements is given in cups can I just use the cups that sell on those bakery shops or do I need to convert to grams/ml?

    Thanks,
    Serena

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...