Pages

Friday, July 26, 2013

Durian Pengat

I LOVE DURIAN! And so is my family (except my kids)

I remember, long time ago when I was still teenager, my dad bought a lot of durian we had a feast and I had too much till all came out at the end of everything! And the best part is, the next day I still craved for more LOL

Another time, recently somewhere in 2011, I had quite a lot of durian and I ended up with a very severe throat inflammation I had high fever for 4 days! And it's really high, between 38.5 to 39.8 consistenly!

Still, I love durian :)
But since the throat inflammation incident, I somehow feel that my throat is more sensitive to any heaty stuff, in particular durian! :(

So, when Aspiring Bakers announced the theme for this month, Tropical Spiky Month, hosted by Mimi from MiMi Bakery House, I was like.. oh dear, hopefully I can contribute at least one, cos for me, it's impossible to make without eating them LOL Yeah...greedy me :))

I wanted to bake durian mousse cake, durian crepes, durian cream puff, durian cendol, durian egg tart, durian ice cream, oh to name just a few!
But in the end, I only can choose one, and I chose durian pengat, the simplest of all LOL
Also out of my curiousity at the same time, to taste how good this is

Oh my, this is heaven!
One scoop and that's it - you just can't stop! Especially when it's chilled!


The taste is not as plain as it looks, trust me!


Recipe is from Edith from Precious Moments. Thank you for this great recipe!

What you need:

175g durian puree
175g durian pulp
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup fresh milk
80g palm sugar (shaved)
4 pandan leaves, knotted

Method:
  1. Put milk, palm sugar and pandan leaves in a pot, simmer til sugar melted
  2. Add durian pulp and durian puree and simmer gently for 15 minutes
  3. Put in 1/2 cup coconut milk
  4. When mixture boils, add in the remaining coconut milk and bring back to boil
  5. Serve chilled




This post is for Aspiring Bakers #33 (July 2013) - Tropical Spiky Month hosted by Charmaine of MiMi Bakery House

 
 
Oh btw, true enough, I did have sore throat after eating this dessert, and now sore throat is gone and turned to cough >.<
This dessert is too good to miss out!
I guess my throat has zero tolerance towards durian now :(
 
 

11 comments:

  1. A very flavourful and exotic dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh okay I trust you... anything pengat is good; apa lagi with DuRiaN!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is need a very easy recipe. I must try this soon. I wonder why have to boil the recipe so many times? cannot just add everything & boil just once?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon, the first time boiling is to melt the palm sugar, easier to do when the liquid is still thin before putting in durian
      For the boiling of coconut milk, I assume its just to make sure that the coconut milk is cooked thoroughly :)

      Delete
  4. GLad you like the recipe. I was to cook this this weekend but was caught up with too many events. Hopefully next week, i have time to buy some durian. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow Alice, I love this... Please send me a few bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny la you Alice, you are such a big fan of durians! When I was younger I was crazy over durians too, but now have to watch my intake as my throat is also quite sensitive to heaty stuffs. But this durian pengat..irresistable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alice, sorry I am an amateur when it comes to cooking. Would like to ask how to make the durian puree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi, you can just blend the durian flesh with food processor :)

      Delete
  8. Hi may i know what is the difference between durian puree and durian pulp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. durian pulp is the fruit itself, the flesh. durian puree is the fruit blended into paste like :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...