Pages

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Sabah Chicken Rice Parcels (Linatan)

I was intrigued to try this dish, but I wasn't too sure if my family accepted it
I was pretty sure they like it, but at the same time I was certain they'd think it's too bland
Indeed I was right, that's what they said when they tried on this dish. No taste, that's what they said :)
But overall, this is a dish they don't mind having :)
For me, I personally love this dish. Yes, a little bland but it's really tasty and fragrant too :)






Recipe is from Wendy from Table For 2..... or More and I cooked the rice using Happy Call pan inspired by Veronica from Peng's Kitchen


What you need:

400g chicken (I used half chicken, deskinned the breast, thigh and wing)
300g rice
700ml water (I added a little)
1/2 tbsp salt
banana leaves, wash and blanch in boiling water to soften
5 cloves of garlic, minced (I added for extra taste)

Method:

1. Rinse rice and soak for 30 mins
2. Heat up Happy Call pan. Place chicken pieces, meat side down onto the pan. Let it sizzle for a whileover medium heat, add in water and salt. Bring to boil. Cover pan and simmer on lowest heat for 10mins


3. Drain the rice and put it in the simmering chicken broth. Stir to distribute the rice evenly. Bring to boil
4. Cover pan and let it simmer on the lowest heat for 10mins until the liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked
5. Turn off heat and let the rice sit for another 30mins
6. Remove chicken from the rice and shred it
7. Spoon a few tbsp of warm rice onto prepared banana leaf, top with some shredded chicken and fold like a parcel
8. Preheat steamer and steam the rice parcels for about 30 minutes (I did this but it's optional)



See the dish below.. It's sambal stir fry chayote prepared by my mum to eat with the rice parcels for extra kick. Eat them together with onion crackers was really a fulfilling meal. Yum! :)




I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Sabah Month hosted by Mary from A Pepper's Love

3 comments:

  1. Interesting dish, I think eating it with the sambal chayote would be really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting dish. I think it looks very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something new to me! I have never heard of this dish before! And the sambal looks good, a perfect combination!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...