Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

AFF Indonesia - Siomay Bandung Ala Abang2

One of the ever famous Indonesian street food
Don't ask me why it's called siew mai when it doesn't even look like one LOL I guess it refers to the meat mixture which is similar to the commonly used in siew mai we usually eat whenever we eat dim sum

Last time I could just wave my hand in front of my home back in Indonesia whenever I feel like having some
Here in Singapore, nowhere to be found. I still remember I did crave for this dish when I was pregnant with Abby, and my sweet mum sent a box by air! LOL
So happy I now can make this yummy dish on my own. When the craving strikes, I can just go to the market to buy the ingredients and go ahead to my kitchen. In fact, I made this big batch to keep some in the freezer :)




Recipe is from HERE

What you need:
(with some modification)

The meat mixture:

350g minced chicken
250g batang fish fillet (weight just the fillet with no bone and skin), minced til form like a paste
250g peeled chayote, cut and steam, let cool and grind til smooth
80ml coconut milk
300g tapioca starch
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 stalk of spring onion, chopped finely and grind til fine

To grind smooth:
7 shallots
5 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp white pepper powder

Seasoning:
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp chicken stock powder

For the peanut sauce:

250g peanut powder (non sweetened)
5 cloves of garlic, cut
7 red chillis
50g palm sugar, shaved
3 tbsp concentrated tamarind water
500ml water
2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
a little cooking oil

Garnish:
limes
dark sweet soya sauce (kecap manis)
tomato ketchup
bottled chilli sauce
steamed potatoes, peeled and cut
hard boiled egg, peeled and cut
steamed cabbage, fold and cut (this time I didn't use)

Method:
  1. In a large bowl, mix minced meat and fish. Add in coconut milk, followed by grinded chayote, then grinded spring onion, mix well
  2. Add in egg, grinded shallot+garlic+pepper mixture, and lastly the seasonings. Mix well
  3. Add in tapioca starch and stir til thoroughly mixed. The batter should be soft and shapable, not mushy
  4. Prepare steamer, oil the strainer and shape into balls (normally is oval shape) using two spoons and arrange on the oiled strainer
  5. Cover steamer and let it cook for about 30minutes over medium high fire
For the peanut sauce:
Sautee cut garlic til fragrant. Let cool slightly. Using blender, mix in all ingredients together (except salt, sugar and palm sugar also tamarind water)  til you get the desired thickness. Pour in a pot and cook. Add in salt, sugar, palm sugar and tamarind water. Bring to boil. Adjust the taste. Ready to use

To serve:
Place siomay balls on a serving plate together with steamed peeled cut potatoes, sliced hard boild egg. Pour over the peanut sauce. Drizzle with kecap manis, ketchup, chilli sauce and lime




Nom nom nom....
 
 
I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest: Indonesiahosted by me, Alice from I Love. I Cook. I Bake       

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...