Pages

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Perak MFF - Kampar Jau Yun @ Fried Fish Dough Balls

We are a deep fried food lover family. So when I saw Wendy posted those little crispy wrinkly balls, I wanted to try too


These balls have a real crisp outer skin and chewy in the inside, really delicious!

 
 
These balls are relatively easy to make. And I love the fact that I don't have to shape them into perfect rounds :)



What you need:
(modified a little)


100g fish flesh (I used toman fillet)
1tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
white pepper powder
1/2 tsp chicken stock powder
50g water
150g tapioca starch

Method:
  1. Pulse fish, salt, sugar, pepper and chicken stock powder til pasty
  2. Add in water, pulse again til forms paste
  3. Add starch, pulse again til forms coarse crumbs. If looks pasty, add starch
  4. Get some of the crumbs with fingers, form into balls (do not roll, press or compact them - make small, it will expand slightly when fried)
  5. Deep fry til golden color

What I take note the next time I cook this again:

*The recommended fish meat to use is yellowtail fusilier
I couldn't find it and I used toman fillet instead
I found out later on that it would affect the texture of the balls, after a chat with Wendy, since toman fillet is tougher than yellowtail fusilier. Also toman fillet is lacking in taste
Yes, my balls were chewy - as it should have been, but a little too tough indeed
I reckoned it's from the type of fish I used
The next time I cook this again, I'll find the suggested fish meat :)

*The original recipe uses anchovy stock cube. I used chicken stock powder
It did make the balls real tasty, but those eating the balls I fried would not be able to tell whether chicken or fish used :)
I will try to use anchovy stock cube next time


The texture inside somehow looks different from what I saw in Wendy's post
But overall, this is a real tasty snack, especially eaten with Thai sweet chilli sauce
Once you pop, you won't be able to stop LOL

 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.comAugust 15, 2013 at 11:21 PM

    Hi Alice, this is very delicious. I can just eat it on its own as a snack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice,
    It's a good thing I am not sure when you are making this! Otherwise, there would not be enough for your family! LOL! Looks so delicious, am drooling!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Alice. This looks good. I shall attempt to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Jane, you should try, you will not regret it :)

      Delete
  4. Yeah, looks a bit different...but don't worry, there are at least 10 variations in Kampar town, no two are the same

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...