Pages

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Banana Choco Mousse Chocolate Layered Cake

Banana chocolate cake, a combination many can't resist
First time I sank my teeth in this delicious cake was a store bought one, from Awfully Chocolate and Secret Recipe
It's love at first bite LOL

I've tried to bake this cake long time ago, I think close to 3 years ago, for my sis' bday, way before I started this blog
The time when I thought I could bake, when I was still lack of knowledge, resulting in disastrous time in the kitchen preparing this cake, and a far from acceptable cake, in terms of the taste, texture and presentation

Now, I think I am pretty much equipped to retry baking this cake again :)
And this time I'm satisfied with the result, even though it's still not as pretty as the ones from the two bakeries I mentioned above
Recipe is from Aunty Yochana's site, mine is not as pretty as hers, either
It's not easy to compete with such a deco expert like her :o)

I'm using one 4" and 5" round pans
The pictures below is from the 4" round pan


I should have spread the mousse layers thicker, no complaint though...


What you need:

For the cake:
A
4 egg yolks (from 60g eggs)
100g castor sugar
120g self raising flour
1/2 tsp double acting baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
50g canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
B
4 1/2 egg whites (from 60g eggs)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
60g castor sugar
C
30g cocoa powder
120g hot water
  1. Mix all A ingredients in a mixing bowl, stir with wooden spoon
  2. Mix together C and stir til smooth
  3. Add in C mixture into A mixture and stir til smooth
  4. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar from B for 2 minutes til frothy, pour in sugar gradually til egg whites become fluffy but not too stiff (soft peak)
  5. Fold in gently half of A mixture into B mixture
  6. Fold in the remaining A mixture into B mixture
  7. Do not overmix, if still can't well mixed, stop folding in
  8. Pour the batter into 9" round pan which has been greased, lined with baking paper and greased again
  9. Bake at preheated oven at 175degC for approximately 50 minutes or til the skewer comes out clean
  10. Cool and cut into 3 parts
For the mousse:

400g whipping cream
 1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp geatin powder, mixed with 4 tbsp water, microwave for 20 seconds (note: use when still hot)
50g cocoa powder - sifted
80g icing sugar - sifted
1 1/2 tbsp nescafe powder mixed with 1 1/2 tbsp water
1 tbsp kahlua

*3 medium size del monte bananas, thick sliced and soak in lemon juice to prevent it from browning
  1. Beat the whipping cream til stiff
  2. Mix all other ingredients together and stir in to the whipped cream 
  3. Keep in the fridge
For the chocolate ganache I used the same recipe I used here
I microwaved for 30 seconds til it melted, let cool
How to assemble the cake:

Lay 1 cake layer and spread the mousse on top. Arrange sliced bananas on top of the mousse
Top up with the second cake layer, spread the mousse on top and arrange sliced bananas on top
Top up with the third cake layer
Cover the whole cake with the balance of the mousse and keep in the fridge til set
Pour the chocolate ganache over the cake and keep back in the fridge til set

Tempted?

DH did, these are his hands wanted to grab the cake LOL

Also I'm linking up this post to:

21 comments:

  1. Hi Alice, Your cake look awesome. Banana with chocolate always taste good and tempting.

    Your mini cake look lovely and cute.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thks Amelia, yes i always love banana and chocolate combo :)

      Delete
  2. This mini cake really looks good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You cake looks good, especially in this petite size. Big cakes are often too much to finish up, isn't it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Joyce, yes i agree, it's more hasle free to eat, but a little more troublesome when making LOL

      Delete
  4. Looks absolutely delicious! I would love to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mini cakes are nice.. perfect to be shared with another person.... ur hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks beautiful. The cake looks really moist! I love choc + banana :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious, Alice! Banana and choc really sounds good together! Love the last pic! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Joyce, hehehe... thks :)
      it's actually DH wanted to tease and disturb me while i took pic, and when he did this, i asked him to freeze LOL

      Delete
  8. Tempted! Looks delicious, chocolate and banana do pair very well indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, very tempting - cannot resist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious and i can imagine how heavenly the taste is! i also had this first in secret recipe and find that their choc banana cake taste quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Lena, thks! yes theirs is nice, but i personally like the one from awfully chocolate better :)

      Delete
  11. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew
    of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically
    tweet my newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
    Here is my page :: vuelos a bangkok

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...