Pages

Friday, September 20, 2013

Chocolate Cakes - ABC September 2013 & Bake Along #51 Two Different Recipes, Two Different Results

I saw the bake for September's Avid Baker's Challenge  is chocolate bread. I saw Bake Along #51 is also chocolate cake
I didn't want to waste time, energy and the amount of dishes to wash, I baked them together, half recipe each LOL

First, Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread for Avid Baker's Challenge hosted by Hanaa

The use of zucchini made me so curious on the texture and taste. The cake was easy to make, too
I had a soft, very moist, fudgy and chocolaty bread, nobody would think there's vegetables in it :)
I, however, could smell it when the bread was just out from the oven, but when it's cooled completely, no smell could be traced anymore
The texture was so moist that I thought I underbaked it. Skewer test came out clean in the middle and sides of the bread, so I didn't think it's underbaked
The grated zucchini was pretty wet when I mixed to the batter though. I wonder if that's the reason...
Anyway, after the bread was completely cooled, the texture was better, not too wet anymore, but yes, it's rich, moist, fudgy and oh so chocolaty - that's the way I like it :)





Recipe is from King Arthur Flour
I followed exactly, halved the recipe, changed espresso powder to instant coffee powder and used Valrhona cocoa
Used 20x10cm loaf pan for half recipe, hence the short bread. Baking time was 60 minutes

This bread is for Avid Baker's Challenge (ABC)
To view other members baking this wonderful bread. We are currently baking from King Arthur Flour website. Want to join? Please contact Hanaa




Okay, now...
While the first chocolate cake in the oven, I prepared the second one - Chocolate Cream Pound Cake
Recipe is from the book Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman for Bake Along #51, chosen by Lena from Frozen Wings

I got a very different cake from the first cake I made
This cake was dense and crumbly even though it's soft. Tasty and pretty light
I added three handfuls of semi sweet chocolate chips but somehow they all sunk to the bottom LOL
Ian chose this cake compared to the first one. He's always into lighter cake :)






What you need:
(half recipe)

3 tbsp unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
30ml heavy cream (I used cream)
1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
57g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cups sugar
2 medium eggs
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 170degC. Grease a 20x10cm loaf pan and dust with flour
  2. Sift the cocoa powder. Place the cream in a microwave-safe measuring cup and heat until hot (mine was 15seconds, break then another 15 seconds) Pour the hot cream over the cocoa and stir and mash with a spoon to make a thick paste. Set aside to cool
  3. Sift flour, baking soda and salt in a medium mixing bowl
  4. Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl until fluffy. Beat in the cocoa powder paste until smooth
  5. With the mixer on low speed, add eggs, one at a time. Stir in the vanilla
  6. On low speed add the flour mixture in 3 additions
  7. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake the cake until it is firm to the touch and skewer test comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes (mine half recipe was 50 minutes). Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, invert it onto a wire rack, and then turn it right side up on a rack to cool completely. Slice and serve
  8. Store uneaten cake in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 3 days
 
 
The second cake is for Bake Along , a baking event organised by  Joyce from Kitchen FlavoursLena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids. This is our bake no.51 :)
 

5 comments:

  1. Both are beautiful, but I prefer the first one...so moist and gooey. Just irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice,
    Two in One! Haha! So clever of you to bake half a recipe each. The zucchini choc cake is a total winner, it was so moist and delicious!
    Choc Cream Pound Cake, most of those who baked it find it a little dry but tastes good.
    Both are good tries!
    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both cakes look awesomely delicious, Alice. Wish I can have a slice each to go with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi alice, i hv tried making zucchini cakes before and i really like them. I didnt post them becos the pictures were very blur..and thx for baking the choc cream pound cake with us and i wonder why all the chips sunk to the bottom too ...:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first cake definitely looks fudgier and more chocolatey. Yum! Then again I love soft cakes too :) I'm glad you liked this recipe. It was a big hit with me too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...