Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Homemade Almond Dates Milk

I am not really milk drinker. Perhaps flavoured milk, but it's just once in blue moon I have the craving for one
When I decided to attempt on making almond milk, it's just a curiosity on my head
I did try store bought one in tetra pak, and I didn't really enjoy drinking it, mostly because of the strong smell of almond extract, which I hate
So, I was like, well, perhaps I could make better. So I tried. And it's something that I will not regret at all. In fact, I will be delighted to have this every single morning for breakfast! Yes, it's that delicious!
Oh, I'm a convert. Now I'm officially a milk drink. Homemade almond milk, that is :)




Recipe is from Oh She Glows

What you need:

1 cup raw almonds, soaked in water
3.5 cups filtered water
3 large pitted Medjool dates, chopped
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
small pinch of salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon (I skipped)

Method:
  1. Soak almonds in water for 8-12 hours (I soaked mine about 15hours)
  2. Soak dates for about 1 hour prior to making the milk. This step is optional, only when you feel the dates are too dry
  3. Rinse and drain almonds and place into a blender with filtered water, dates, and vanilla extract and blend on highest speed for about 1min
  4. Place a nut milk bag (I used cheese cloth but I reckoned nut milk bag is a better choice) over a large bowl and pour almond milk mixture into the bag. Gently squeeze the bottom of the bag to release the milk
  5. Pour milk into a glass jar, store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days. Shake jar very well before using as the mixture separates when sitting

This thick, creamy and delicious milk is so yummy on its own, to eat with cereal, to cook oatmeal or to make overnight oats. I was thinking to make some of the milk into chocolate flavoured, but perhaps next time. Meantime, I just enjoy this milk plain, something I almost never do! :)



This post is for Best Recipes
Recipe links HERE
 
 
 
Is that the reflection of my head on the glass? LOL
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alice,
    This is indeed a health choice.
    I love almond milk and I love the smell ..lol
    Thanks for sharing dear friend.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice,

    What an co-incidence that I made these too but I didn't make my own almond milk :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...