Pages

Friday, August 29, 2014

Bake Along #67 Plum Tartlets (Back In The Day Bakery)

Cakey tart? How is the texture? I have to try this! - my thought about the 67th bake for Bake Along
So I did today, and let me tell you, my diet was gone into the deepest drain today!
It was really good I ate THREE in a day! I felt so guilty I just had my evening exercise LOL

It looks just like cupcakes, but once you sink your teeth in it, you will have crumbly buttery moist sweet yummy tart. Not the usual tart, this has a cake like texture
And with the tang from the plum, it's perfect! Yum yum yum...




I followed the recipe posted by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids. Thanks Zoe, you have made my life so much easier! :)

What you need:

150g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cardamom (I used cinnamon)
1/8 tsp fine sea salt (I skipped as I used salted butter)
125g unsalted butter, room temperature (I used salted)
1 large egg yolk
40g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
lemon zest from 1 lemon
2 plums, pitted and sliced (I used red plum)
2 tbsp brown sugar (I used Demerara sugar)
icing sugar for dusting

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180degC. Line 6 cups of a muffin tray
  2. Cream butter until pale and fluffy (about 2mins on medium high speed)
  3. Add in egg yolk, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and beat til mixture is light in color
  4. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cardamom (for me it's cinnamon) and salt (for those using unsalted butter)
  5. Reduce speed to low and add sifted flour mixture in thirds, mixing til just incorporated, do not overmix
  6. Divide the batter evenly among the 6 muffin cups. Place plum slices in each cup, pressing lightly into the batter. Sprinkle the tops with brown sugar (for me it's Demerara sugar)
  7. Bake for 25mins (mine was 30mins) until the tartlets look set and the tops are bubbly and caramelized to a golden brown. Dust with icing sugar just before serving

 
 
 
 
My weekend indulgence started early this week :)
 
 
 
Also this post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (August 2014 Event: Flour) - organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Alice , 3 ?! It's not that bad , there's fruit in it , right ? :D Love the contrast between the buttery texture of the pastry and the slightly tangy plum . I haven't baked this kind of tart yet , maybe I'll bake this but will use apples instead .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice,
    I smiled when I read that you ate three! Glad that you have enjoyed these tarts!
    Yes, the plums are really good with the flaky crumbly pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW! These lovely tartlets must be really good that you had 3 ! I LOVE buttery crumb cakes & this recipe fit the bill ! YUMMY ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you exercise? oh so dont worry, you still can afford to eat another 3 :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alice,

    You baked 6 and you ate 3 of these... *giggle*

    Sorry lah... I don't mean to laugh at you but you are so cute saying that you like these tarts so much :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Alice I have yet to see an ugly plum tartlet and yours is no different! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...