Pages

Friday, August 15, 2014

Bake Along #66 Affordable Lasagna (Kerryann Dunlop)

Kerryann Dunlop is one of Jamie Oliver's student and has been helping out at the Ministry of Food. I love her videos in You Tube. Mostly are commonly known food but she successfully made them special in a simple way. Not to mention they all look so appetizing :)

I have a few to try, starting from this simple to make and yummy lasagna
The simple ingredients used explain the name of this dish, and it's easy to make, too


Yummy, tasty, cheesy lasagne. You see the cut at the other end? It's me so eager to try I forgot that I haven't taken a picture LOL



Come eat me now! :)
 


Recipe is from HERE but I added parmesan and mozzarella cheese :)

What you need:

500g minced beef (I used chicken)
6 dried lasagna sheets (I didn't count how many I used but I think it's 8)
about 10g butter
2 tbsp plain flour
500ml semi skimmed milk (I used fresh regular milk)
one whole nutmeg (I used a big pinch of ground nutmeg)
fresh basil (I used dried)
homemade pasta sauce (I used store bought bottled pasta sauce)
20g grated cheddar cheese (I didn't measure the quantity of cheddar cheese I used)
grated parmesan cheese (same quantity as cheddar) (I added)
grated mozzarella cheese (I added)
salt, sugar and pepper

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 180degC
  2. To make the ragu sauce: Place pasta sauce in a saucepan over low heat. On a hot large frying pan, pour in minced chicken, breaking lumps with a spoon. Let it cook over medium high heat for about 5 mins. Transfer to the pasta sauce using slotted spoon. Mix together and let cook over low heat for 10mins, stirring occasionally (here I added some dried basil and grated cheddar cheese, season with a little salt and sugar). Set aside
  3. To make the béchamel (white sauce), melt butter over medium heat. Add in flour and cook for 1-2mins to make a paste (roux) This will ensure the sauce is smooth and won't taste flourish. Whisk in milk gradually and cook for about 5mins til the sauce is smooth. Whisk in more milk if the sauce is too thick. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper, also nutmeg, stir well
  4. Place lasagna dish (I used 9"x1'3" baking dish). Start layering with the ragu sauce, then drizzle a good spoonful of béchamel, top with lasagna sheets (2 sheets laid next to each other). Repeat for another 2 times, finish with lots of béchamel sauce on top. Top with grated cheddar, parmesan and lastly, mozzarella cheese (I didn't put fresh basil on top)
  5. Place in the oven and bake for 30-40mins until golden brown on top and slightly bubbling. Remove from heat and let it stand for 10mins before serving
  6. Serve with grated parmesan cheese and tabasco sauce



This post is for Bake Along, an event organised by Joyce from Kitchen FlavoursLena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alice,
    Your lasagna looks delicious, and yes, I totally agree with you with the addition of the two cheeses!
    I have always wanted to make lasagna! I once bought some lasagna sheets and forgot all about it! It got expired with unwanted black bugs inside and got to throw it away! :(
    Thanks for baking along with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh dear, so wasted
      never mind, there'll always be the next time :)

      Delete
  2. haha..this must be smelling so good that you couldnt wait to try....i'm imagining the layers of bechamel sauce and pasta sauce over the lasagna...mmm...thanks for the link to youtube. will chk on that later !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Lena, this is one good and simple recipe, must try :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...