Pages

Friday, August 22, 2014

AFF Taiwan - Braised Pork On Rice (滷肉飯 Lor Bak Png)

One Taiwanese dish I ate ages ago whenever I was in Taipei during my singlehood
Now is the time for me to experience cooking it myself :)


 
 
My family enjoyed this dish. Since we do not fancy fatty meat, I mixed pork belly with lean meat. In fact, 75% of the meat was lean meat
Since lean meat takes longer time to soften, I braised for longer period of time
Even though I diced them real small, it still took a little longer than an hour to get the softness I want. This was in fact a good step in giving maximum flavour to the dish
Very tasty, fragrant, juicy and full of flavour. Yum! :)
 
 


Source: Doris from Sumptuous Flavours
(with slight modification)

What you need:

400g lean pork
100g pork belly
2 tbsp dried shrimp, soak til soft and coarsely chopped
20g brown rock sugar
1 star anise
1/4 tsp five spice powder
3 tbsp light soya sauce
2 tbsp dark soya sauce
5 cloves of garlic, minced
4 shallots, minced
6 eggs, hard boiled - shells removed
3 tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine
some cooked rice

Garnish: blanched xiaobai chai, Japanese pickled radish (too bad I couldn't find this on the day I cooked this dish, so I skipped this)

Method:
  1. Heat wok with a little oil (since mainly was lean meat). Add the pork cubes and fry until water has evaporated
  2. Add in the minced garlic and minced shallots. Continue to stir-fry until fragrant
  3. Add in dried shrimp. Stir. Add in water to cover the pork pieces. Add in shaoxing wine
  4. Add in rock sugar, soy sauce and dark soya sauce. Stir well
  5. Add in hard boiled eggs to the pork and gravy. Turn the eggs occasionally so they're browned evenly
  6. Simmer for about 20 mins. Add in star anise and five spice powder and continue simmer for another 45 mins (add water whenever necessary)
  7. Adjust taste, give a good stir, let it boil and off the heat
  8. Serve with hot cooked rice, blanched vegetables and pickled radish


 
 
 
I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest – Taiwan hosted by Alan from Travelling Foodies

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...