Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

ABC April 2014 - Whole Wheat Cinnamon Swirl Bread

Thanks to Hanaa, I still manage to participate in this month's Avid Baker's Challenge (ABC)

Cinnamon bread. I always love it. Hence my curiosity in trying this recipe from King Arthur Flour (KAF)




It used white whole wheat flour. Adding with some mashed potato flakes. Interesting
But my luck went to the drain. I couldn't find mashed potato anywhere near my place. Now how weird is that. Something so common was nowhere to be found in three supermarkets!
You know what people always says... It's always there, but when you need it, it suddenly vanished. I can't agree more
So I ended up replaced it with bread flour
The recipe used overnight starter and another unique thing - orange juice (I used freshly squeezed orange juice)
The interesting thing is, there's no orange taste in the bread at all
According to KAF, the use of orange juice is to mellow any potential bitterness in the whole wheat

So, I tried. And yes, it's good!
Definitely not the best looking yeasted bread I ever baked. Somehow mine looks like quick bread. It didn't rise high during baking as mentioned. There's no brown crust on top. I wonder whether I would have it if I didn't tent the dough during the 45 minutes baking as instructed. Perhaps I should try next time, not to tent the dough while baking. That will make this bread look much better with the brown crust dome on top :)




You may view the full recipe HERE and step by side instruction HERE

Please do not expect soft fluffy pillowy bread like those Asian sweet bread we usually love
This is another kind. Something more artisan. But don't worry, you are not eating rock here. This is definitely soft. And yummy, too. So it's really worth trying. And in my case, second try :)
 
 
This post is for Avid Baker's Challenge April 2014, a baking event hosted by Hanaa from Hanaa's Kitchen

 
 
And since this bread is using orange as one of the ingredient, even though not for the taste, I am submitting this post to Little Thumbs Up organised by Bake For Happy Kids, and My Little Favourite DIY, hosted by Ann of Anncoo Journal at this post 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alice, Thank you for sharing this beautiful and healthy bread recipe to LTU. I think you should add orange zest to enhance the orange citrus flavour in the bread. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...