Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Bake Along #38 - Cold Oven Cream Cheese & Chocolate Pound Cake

After missing out three bakes in a row for Bake Along, finally I managed to find time to bake these little cutie pies
Thanks to the hosts of Bake Along, the time for submission now is 10 days, that means a lot to me! :)

This little cakes were very well received by my family, including the kids
It's indeed really good, I like the taste, very fine texture and moist too
I added chocolate to attract my kids and it worked :)
I wanted to make marble effect but since I used mini moulds it's not so easy to do so
I did have a little extra batter, so I did three cupcakes with marbled effect and baked using Happy Call pan :)

The mini donuts...



The mini cupcakes...



And the standard size cupcakes, the remaining batter baked using Happy Call pan...
Tasted the same, but the texture was slightly different, a little chewy and the texture was not as fine as those baked using oven




Recipe is  from the book Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman
I made half recipe, modified as follows...

What you need:

1 1/2 cup cake flour (minus 1 1/2 tbsp)
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
3 /4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
114g unsalted butter, softened
114g cream cheese, softened
3/4 (slightly heaped) cup caster sugar (original half recipe uses 1 1/4 cup which I think is too much)
3 large eggs
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
Original half recipe uses 3/4 tbsp grated fresh ginger and 1/2 tbsp grated lemon zest but I skipped them

Method:
  1. Grease and flour 1 mini donut pan and 1 mini cupcakes pan
  2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl
  3. Combine butter, cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl and beat til fluffy about 3 minutes
  4. Lower the speed to medium, add in eggs one at a time
  5. Add in vanilla, ginger and lemon zest (if used - I didn't use ginger and lemon zest, only vanilla)
  6. Reduce speed to low and add in the flour mixture, 1/2 cup each time
  7. Mix for 30 seconds on medium speed and off the mixer
  8. Take 1/3 of the batter and fold in cocoa powder
  9. Put batter (both plain and chocolate) in separate piping bag, snip the tip
  10. Pipe the plain batter into the pan and top with the chocolate batter
  11. Place the pans in the cold oven. Turn the oven to 150degC fan forced and bake without opening the door til cake is cooked when skewer comes out clean (mine is about 25 minutes)
  12. Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes then invert onto a rack
  13. Store in an airtight container



This is the bake for Bake Along event hosted by Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids, Joyce  from Kitchen Flavours and Lena, from Frozen wings

Please check out below others baked the same cake with their own brilliant modifications

18 comments:

  1. Hi Alice,
    You have made the pound cake into lovely, little cakes! And the mini doughnuts look very cute! What a great idea!
    And yes, Bake-Along has been extended by another 3 days to 10 days now! Glad that you could join us this time round!
    Wish you a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thks Joyce, thanks
      have a great weekend too :)

      Delete
  2. Love the combination of chocolate and plain mini cakes, especially the donut-shaped one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mini cupcakes, marble cupcakes and donut shape cupcakes, all are so cute and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Small and cute little cakes. Great idea of creating the marble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi alice, all the shapes look very pretty! normally when you baked cakes using HCP, do they require preheating? i mean do they have a preheating function?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thks Lena
      no, baking with HCP doesnt need any preheating :)

      Delete
  6. I am so intrigue by this recipe. Let's hope I find the energy to bake this today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Alice, love the addition of chocolate! Makes it even more delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Alice, your pound cake look so good. Love the swirl pattern, very lovely. YUMMY!
    Have a nice weekend, regards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alice, I love your variations. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! I like the mini donut shaped ones:D I tried making into chocolate cupcakes too and they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Alice,

    Now, your cakes look more like donuts than mine... LOL! How do you use happy call to bake the cupcakes? I assume that you just put them in baking cups and place inside the pan... I have not try baking with my happy call yet :P

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy call pan? That sounds so cute! Ughh I totally miss my pans in Canada. Wasn't able to bring any back to Singapore :( guess I'll have to go pan shopping again! Anyway, great recipe! I absolutely love that book by Lauren too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Alice, your little cakes look really cute and delicious! Perfect size for breakfast too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...