Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Pineapple Balls (Enclosed Pineapple Tarts)

My fourth cookies for Chinese New Year
Of course, pineapple tarts! But this time, I made the enclosed version, pineapple balls, and I had fun making them

I usually always prefer the open tarts, easier and faster to prepare. Tried to make into balls once previously but I got cracked balls. And the process was more tedious. But this year I just wanted to try again, and this time I enjoyed it. The dough was easy to handle and the whole thing was a breeze. Of course, it's still more time consuming than open tarts, but it's a nice feeling when I saw those round balls out from the oven, no cracks :)

UPDATE:
Baked these precious balls again for Chinese New Year 2017, and brushed only beaten egg yolk for glaze and it looked much more beautiful. So happy! :)






I used the most talked about recipe recently, from Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover
Love it! So melty, milky and yummy combination of the sweet pastry and tangy pineapple filling
Only one downside to me was the appearance, it couldn't give me golden balls. Instead they were whitish and pale. After some thoughts, my guess was I shouldn't have mixed the egg yolk glaze with fresh milk, and also I should have baked without fan. Okay, lesson learnt, must take note of that the next time I bake this recipe again :)




What you need:

350g butter
100g sweetened condensed milk
510g plain flour
2 egg yolks

1 egg yolk + 1 tsp milk, for glaze
(I will omit the milk next time)

700g pineapple jam filling, roll into 8g balls

Method:
  1. Cream butter and condensed milk til light. Add in egg yolk one at a time, beat til combined
  2. Mix in flour, mix til the dough becomes soft and not sticky
  3. Roll the dough into 10g balls
  4. Flatten a piece of dough ball, make a dent at the centre and place the pineapple jam ball on it. Bring the edges of the dough together and pinch to seal. Roll it in between palms to make a perfect ball shape
  5. Make a pattern on the balls if desired (I didn't do it) and brush with egg wash
  6. Bake at 165degC for 23mins (fan forced) (mine was 170degC for 30mins but I still got whitish pale balls, I will off the fan the next time I bake this again)
  7. Cool completely before storing them in an airtight compartment

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alice,

    Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family!!! This is one of my fav pineapple tart recipe too! Yum yum!

    Yup... must use the egg glaze if you bake these again :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe, will try baking this again :)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...