Pages

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

AFF Indonesia - Tempe Mendoan (Deep Fried Soya Bean Cake)

A famous snack , there are two versions for tempe mendoan, thin crispy and the other one is the softer kind
I prefer the latter one, as I feel like eating chips whenever I eat the thin version LOL


Ian loves tempe mendoan so much he requested to display some of his toys
His excuse was, this is one of my favourite food LOL
 
 
 
Recipe is from Sajian Sedap site
 
What you need:
 
2 blocks of tempe, thinly sliced
2 stalks of spring onion, chopped
300g plain flour
30g rice flour
30g tapioca starch / sago flour
500ml water
enough cooking oil to deep fry the tempe
 
Grind together:
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp salt
a dash of pepper
 
Method:
  1. Mix spring onion, all three flours, and the grinded ingredients in a large bowl
  2. Pour water and mix well til form thick batter
  3. Dip tempe into the batter and deep fry til golden brown
 
The fried tempe mendoan is best eaten immediately while it's warm
The skin is  crisp while still able to taste the texture of the tempe inside
THe skin will turn soft after a few hours, but it's still yummy :)
 
Normally, it's eaten with sambal kecap (dark sweet soya sauce mixed with cut shallots and green bird's eye chillis)
Another way is to just munch together with pieces of green bird's eye chillis (this needs courage! LOL)
 

 
 
I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest: Indonesiahosted by me, Alice from I Love. I Cook. I Bake                         
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alice, I love tempe but haven't try this dish before. I agree the tempe is even more fragrant with the spices added.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...