Pages

Friday, July 18, 2014

Bake Along #64 Pandan Chiffon Cake (Cooked Dough / Tang Mian Method)

Can you believe it, this is only my third time baking chiffon cake? It's true
The first one was a total disaster I didn't even bother to take a picture. The second one was a success, you may view it HERE
And this time, I baked the same kind of cake, pandan chiffon cake, but using different method

I heard about this, but somehow forgotten about it until Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids posted hers. Reading her very positive feedback, I knew I must try!
And boy, what a decision! This cake is really really good!
It has the softness and fluffiness of chiffon cake, but at the same time moist (this is important as I dislike dry cake) and oh so flavourful! The sweetness is just nice to my liking and I love the color, too. Love love this! :)

One thing I regret is, I forgot to tap the pan before putting it in the oven. You can see some holes here and there :(



Soft like pillow :)
 

 
I still can't unmould chiffon cake properly. It lacks of the brown 'skin' all around...
 


Other than that, this cake is a winner. A keeper recipe I must say!

Here's the recipe using 21cm chiffon pan
(original recipe is for 15cm pan => HERE)

What you need:

75g butter
70g plain flour with a pinch of salt, sifted
70g coconut milk
7 pandan leaves (wash and cut) + 1/4 tsp pandan paste
5 egg yolks
5 egg whites
90g caster sugar

Method:
  1. Melt butter in a pot over medium low heat. Remove from heat. Add in sifted flour & salt mixture, mix till smooth. Return pot to the heat and cook til slightly bubbles. Off the heat and leave to cool completely
  2. Using blender, process cut pandan leaves with pandan paste and coconut milk
  3. Squeeze out the pandan juice over a strainer to make a total volume of 70ml
  4. Add in pandan mixture and egg yolk to the cooled butter mixture, mix well
  5. Beat egg whites til foamy, add in sugar gradually and keep beating til stiff peak
  6. Add in 1/3 of the egg white batter into the egg yolk mixture, mix well
  7. Fold in the remaining egg white batter til just incorporated, do not overmix
  8. Pour batter into ungreased 21cm chiffon pan and tap the pan to release big air bubbles
  9. Bake in preheated oven of 160degC for 50minutes until cooked
  10. Invert to cool down completely before unmoulding



This post is for Bake Along, an event organised by Joyce from Kitchen FlavoursLena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids where the theme this time is Chiffon Cake

 
 
You have to see those fab bakers with their wonderful chiffon cakes. My chiffon cake to do list is getting longer after seeing them :)
 

15 comments:

  1. Hi, Alice! Your Tang Mian Pandan Chiffon really looks so soft! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice ! i will hv to try out this cooked dough method one day..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alice, I know this pandan chiffon tasted good. Your chiffon looks very soft, spongy and moist. Nice. I'll be baking another one tomorrow for my family. Hope it turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Kimmy, thks! I always admire your chiffon and cotton cakes - besides others, too :)

      Delete
  4. The texture looks perfect! Now I am tempted to make too....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Alice,

    I'm very happy that you like this recipe too! It is very soft and delicious with buttery taste.

    I must thank Angel for this wonderful recipe :D Yeah, I will highly recommend this recipe!!!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Zoe, thks to u too for the detailed instruction, makes my life easier :)
      this is a keeper recipe, indeed :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Alice,
    I love pandan chiffon cakes! Your cake looks so wonderfully soft, fluffy and moist, delicious!
    You are right, my list is getting longer too, there are so many chiffon cakes that I want to try!
    Thanks for linking with BA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Joyce, thks!
      yeah, so many things to do, so little time :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Alice,
    Made my first chiffon cake using your recipe. Your cake turned out so springy and moist. Yet mine ended up dry on top and dense at the bottom; I'd waited for the pan to cool and turns out, the cake had collapsed at the base. I was using a non stick chiffon cake pan. What should I be correcting on my next attempt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Chiffon cake is a tricky cake to make, failed on first try is almost 100% happened to everyone, including me :)
      I got it right after my 3rd try and did many reading first beforehand
      I suspect you need to look again on how you fold the batter and I think you overbeat the egg white, too
      Try again, dun give up :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Alice, thanks for your encouraging words, will certainly give this a shot again :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...