The first one was a total disaster I didn't even bother to take a picture. The second one was a success, you may view it HERE
And this time, I baked the same kind of cake, pandan chiffon cake, but using different method
I heard about this, but somehow forgotten about it until Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids posted hers. Reading her very positive feedback, I knew I must try!
And boy, what a decision! This cake is really really good!
It has the softness and fluffiness of chiffon cake, but at the same time moist (this is important as I dislike dry cake) and oh so flavourful! The sweetness is just nice to my liking and I love the color, too. Love love this! :)
One thing I regret is, I forgot to tap the pan before putting it in the oven. You can see some holes here and there :(
Soft like pillow :)
I still can't unmould chiffon cake properly. It lacks of the brown 'skin' all around...
Other than that, this cake is a winner. A keeper recipe I must say!
Here's the recipe using 21cm chiffon pan
(original recipe is for 15cm pan => HERE)
What you need:
70g plain flour with a pinch of salt, sifted
70g coconut milk
7 pandan leaves (wash and cut) + 1/4 tsp pandan paste
5 egg yolks
5 egg whites
90g caster sugar
- Melt butter in a pot over medium low heat. Remove from heat. Add in sifted flour & salt mixture, mix till smooth. Return pot to the heat and cook til slightly bubbles. Off the heat and leave to cool completely
- Using blender, process cut pandan leaves with pandan paste and coconut milk
- Squeeze out the pandan juice over a strainer to make a total volume of 70ml
- Add in pandan mixture and egg yolk to the cooled butter mixture, mix well
- Beat egg whites til foamy, add in sugar gradually and keep beating til stiff peak
- Add in 1/3 of the egg white batter into the egg yolk mixture, mix well
- Fold in the remaining egg white batter til just incorporated, do not overmix
- Pour batter into ungreased 21cm chiffon pan and tap the pan to release big air bubbles
- Bake in preheated oven of 160degC for 50minutes until cooked
- Invert to cool down completely before unmoulding
This post is for Bake Along, an event organised by Joyce from Kitchen Flavours, Lena from Frozen Wings and Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids where the theme this time is Chiffon Cake
You have to see those fab bakers with their wonderful chiffon cakes. My chiffon cake to do list is getting longer after seeing them :)