Pages

Friday, August 19, 2016

Budae Jigae

My third dish I cooked to satisfy my craving for Korean food this time was Budae Jigae, another famous Korean army base stew where the typical Korean stew comprises of stuff influenced by Americans when US military came to Korea
It's something like Korean style steamboat where you prepare the soup base and dumping in all ingredients of your choice and eat immediately
Love love this dish! :)



 
Piping hot! Yummy! 



Again, I followed recipe from Seonkyoung Longest

What you need:
(I made half recipe as written below)

For the sauce:
3 tbsp gochugaru (Korean red chili pepper powder)
1.5 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp rice wine (soju)
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp doenjang (Korean fermented soya bean paste -> can be replaced with miso)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
30ml water
5 cloves of garlic, chopped finely

For the stew:
1/2 cup kimchi (I used my homemade emergency kimchi)
30g rice cake slices, soaked in warm water for 20mins if frozen
1/4 can spam, slice thinly about 5mm thick
2 hotdogs, slice as preferred
1/4 block of firm tofu, slice thinly about 5mm thick
3 spring onion, cut about 5cm long
50g dangmyeon (Korean sweet potato noodles, soaked in warm water for 20mins)
30g enoki mushroom, discard the root
2.5cups chicken stock
60g dried ramen noodles
a bunch of baby romaine lettuce (I added this)
Method:

1. In a bowl, mix all ingredients for the sauce and set aside
 
 
2. Just before serving, in a shallow and thick bottom pot, arrange kimchi, rice cake, spam, hotdogs, and tofu 
 

3. Place dangmyeon, enoki mushroom, romaine lettuce and spring onion on top in the middle
 

4. Pour over sauce and stock and over high fire for 5mins. Reduce to medium fire and stir everything til well mixed
 

5. Add ramen noodles, stir til cooked and it's ready to eat!
 

 
 
NOTE:
 
Original recipe used other ingredients such as breakfast sausage, baked beans and sliced cheese
I didn't use breakfast sausage and baked beans I do not fancy these two. And I found cheese is not meant to be inside this dish, but then again on the second thought I will try to add sliced cheese the next time I make this dish again, I think should be good :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...