Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Melt In The Mouth Open Pineapple Tarts - Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Okay, done posting with my Valentine's Day indulgence, I'm back to Chinese New Year goodies LOL

 A must bake every year, this was some postion of my second batch :)
 



I used my mum's recipe I ever did back in 2011
I reckoned that her recipe is more suitable for closed pineapple tart. It turned to be too crumbly for open tart, hence I did a little modification to the ingredients and also the making process and it worked well for open tart :)

What you need:

For the pastry dough:
200g cold butter, cubed (original recipe used room temperature, I used SCS salted)
300g plain flour
25g corn flour (closed tart: 50g)
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp + 25g milk powder (closed tart: 2 tbsp)
50g icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For egg wash:
(whisk with fork)
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp fresh milk

Method:
  1. In a bowl, mix in both sifted icing sugar, plain and corn flour. Add in butter cubes and rub in with fingertips til resembles breadcrumbs
  2. Add in egg yolk, vanilla extract. Wet you hand (til really wet) and use to knead til forms soft dough (do not over knead). Wrap in cling wrap and keep in the fridge for about 30mins
  3. Remove from fridge and roll dough til about 5mm thick. Shape with cookie cutter as preferred and place in lined cookie sheets
  4. Egg wash them and place pineapple paste ball on each of the pastry
  5. Bake in preheated oven of 175degC for 25-30mins til pastry is slightly browned on the edge
  6. Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack
  7. Make sure it's cooled completely before storing into containers
For the pineapple paste, I used the same recipe as what I used last year
I found it was too sweet, so this time I reduced the sugar
I made 4 big Morris pineapples and found 300g of sugar is sufficient

Yummy pineapple tarts. Such a torture, knowing that it's high in calories yet it's so addictive LOL


This post is linked to "My Treasured Recipes #5 - Chinese New Year Goodies (Jan/Feb 2015)" hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House

This post is also linked to the event, Cook & Celebrate: CNY organised by organised by Yen from Eat your heart out, Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe and Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids
 

Oh btw, jumping to another topic, but still Chinese New Year related, a couple of days ago, I received a surprise from SCS. It's the recipe book so highly on demand now, with a box of delicious pineapple tarts
Thank you SCS, I will definitely will give the recipes in the book a try :)


 
 
Lastly, just want to share my must have Chinese New Year's Eve dinner :)
Just a small portion as it's only for 4 of us - well, the pic below only showed half of it, though LOL
 
 
 
Fried taukee and fried golden ingot wanton :)
 
 
 
Last but not least, Happy Chinese New Year 2015, everybody! Gong Xi Fa Cai! :)
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alice, Happy CNY to you and family. Thanks for sharing yet another Pineapple tart recipe.
    These look delicious and easy. I also make these for Deepavali
    as my children and grandchildren really enjoy them.

    Regards from Ipoh, Malaysia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice,

    You are lucky to receive the recipe book from SCS. Here I wish you and your family a happy & prosperous year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alice,

    Gong Xi Fa Cai. Wishing you best of everything for this new Sheep year :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pineapple tarts are looking so nice! Yummy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...